Pages

Friday, March 28, 2014

God's Timing Is Perfect

After Abram defeated Chedorloamer and the kings that were allied with him, Abram was blessed by the priest Melchidezek. Some time after that, God came to Abram in a vision. God made a covenant with Abram, telling him that he would have numerous descendents, more numerous than the stars in the sky. At that time, Abram and his wife Sarai were advanced in age, and were childless. Sarai gave Abram her Egyptian servant Hagar, and told Abram to have intercourse with her so that Sarai could possibly have sons through Hagar. Abram did as Sarai said, and Hagar bore a son, Ishmael. Later, Sarah (renamed from Sarai by God) bore Isaac to Abraham (renamed from Abram by God).

The outcome of Abraham's decision to father a child by Hagar, contrary to God's will, resulted in difficulties. Conflicts arose between Ishmael and Isaac. Ishmael became the father of the Arab nations, while Isaac became the father of the Israelites. And, the Israelites and the Arabs have been enemies ever since.

Later in the Bible, Jacob's son Joseph was sold into slavery by his brothers. Joseph eventually found great favor with Potiphar, an official and chief steward of the Pharoah. Potiphar's wife also favored Joseph and wanted Joseph to lie with her. After Joseph's continued refusals, Potiphar's wife accused Joseph of wanting to "amuse himself at (her) expense". Joseph was thrown into jail, where he waited patiently until he was saved by God. Joseph then went on to become great and powerful in Egypt, and saved his family (his brothers and his father Jacob) from a serious drought that ravaged the land.

Why am I relating these stories from the Bible? Because of two events in my life. Some time ago, I was speaking with an atheist friend of mine, asking why he did not believe in God. He gave me several of his reasons. The one the really struck me was basically a line from the song 'Superstar' from the rock opera 'Jesus Christ Superstar' - "if you'd come today you would have reached the whole nation. Israel 4BC had no mass communication". That is, God's timing wasn't good; he would have been more effective if he had today's technology to spread his message. Later, I discussed the conversation between myself and my atheist friend with a priest. The priest told me that, contrary to the suggestion of my friend, Jesus was born 2000 years ago because God's timing is always perfect.

The second series of events occurred to me recently. I have started a second career as a musician. This year I finally have some regular jobs, though the pay isn't that great. I decided to solicit more jobs, and hit the pavement. I haven't gone hog wild with this; and, I have not met with much success. Then, out of the blue, I received an email from someone I did not know, asking if I would play for her wedding!  Apparently she had spoken with a client of mine from last summer who gave me a glowing review. After that, I was contacted by another of last year's clients asking if I would play several times for him this summer, with a bigger payment than last year.

As I was thinking about what happened to me, and reflecting on the events in the Bible, it struck me that, as I said, God's timing is perfect. He will provide for me what he thinks I can handle, when he thinks I can handle it and thereby grow through the experience. After all, Jesus told his disciples (Luke 12:28) that "If God so clothes the grass in the field that grows today and is thrown into the oven tomorrow, will he not much more provide for you, O you of little faith?" When will I learn?